Murkomen defends Ruto's revelation of Kabiru's death at UNGA as family notified hours later
National
By
David Njaaga
| Sep 25, 2025
President William Ruto addresses the United Nations General Assembly in New York on Tuesday, September 23, 2025, where he announced the death of Kenyan police officer Benedict Kabiru. [File, Standard]
The family of Benedict Kabiru, a Kenyan police officer missing in Haiti since March, says they were only informed of his death on Wednesday night, hours after President William Ruto had already announced it at the United Nations General Assembly in New York.
Ruto on Tuesday named Kabiru among three Kenyan officers who had died while serving under the Multinational Security Support Mission.
"I must use this opportunity to honour the Kenyan officers Samuel Tompei, Benedict Kabiru and Kennedy Nzumbi who lost their lives in the line of duty," said Ruto.
The announcement shocked Kabiru's relatives in Thamanda village, Kiambu who said no official communication had reached them before the president's remarks.
READ MORE
Why housing has become an economic crisis
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
Africa Summit win for Kenya and continent, but on whose terms?
Youth gain skills in electronics repair and e-waste management
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen on Thursday defended the timing, noting that government officials were already on their way to visit the family when Ruto spoke. "Any lapse in communication was occasioned by time synchronisation," explained Murkomen during a tour of Garissa County.
The National Police Service later issued a statement confirming Kabiru's death. Police said he went missing on March 25 during an ambush along the Carrefour Paye-Savien route in Haiti's Artibonite region and was declared dead after search operations. "The family has been notified," observed police spokesperson Muchangi Nyaga.
The Attorney General's office, however, told a Nairobi court on Wednesday it was unaware Kabiru had died, contradicting Ruto's remarks and exposing the mixed signals around the officer's fate.
Kabiru's relatives filed a petition in June seeking answers from the state on his disappearance. His wife Miriam Watima and their 18-year-old daughter have been left grappling with the loss, with the daughter delaying her university plans.
Kenya has now lost three officers in Haiti since deploying police in 2024 to lead the multinational mission tasked with restoring stability in the Caribbean nation.