Amref plane crash victims undergo DNA tests
Nairobi
By
Fred Kagonye
| Aug 15, 2025
The remains of four Amref Flying Doctors staff members who died in an accident last week are undergoing DNA testing for identification at the Kenya Medical Research Institute (Kemri).
Amref Flying Doctors CEO Stephen Gitau said the exercise is being conducted in collaboration with Chief Government Pathologist Johansen Oduor, with results expected by Monday.
He noted that the organization could not release further details but is working closely with the teams handling the tests.
The August 7 accident involved a Cessna 5Y-FDM plane that crashed in Mwihoko estate, Kiambu County, killing Captains Muthuka Munuve and Brian Kimani, Doctor Charles Mugo, and nurse Jane Omusula.
READ MORE
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
CMA extends Kenya Pipeline Company IPO deadline to February 24
Why services sector offers best bet for jobs, economic development
Beyond the cloud: How US firm has built muscle in the digital world
Win for Ruto as High Court okays privatisation of Kenya Pipeline Company
The four were en route to Hargeisa, Somalia, to evacuate a sick child. Gitau said alternative arrangements were made to ensure the child's safe evacuation despite the crash.
Operations resumed a week after the tragedy, with Gitau describing it as the best way to honor their late colleagues. "One of the best ways to celebrate them has been to go back to work," he said at their Wilson Airport hangar, as the team received a patient airlifted to Belgium.
He said that, even in mourning, thousands of clients rely on Amref services. "One such client was evacuated from Zanzibar about 10 days ago after a serious accident. We admitted them to Aga Khan Hospital, and the patient waited for us to transfer them to Belgium," said Gitau.
He added that no staff were rushed back to work and that all team members have been receiving counseling to cope with the loss.
"Two days ago, we felt ready as a community to resume operations," he said, noting that the Belgium flight marked the first mission since the accident.
Gitau confirmed that the organization is working with the families of the deceased on interment arrangements, including the families of 13-year-old Yvonne Nasimiyu and James Gitau, who also perished in the crash.
He stressed that the resumption of operations is not for profit but to continue saving lives across the country.
Investigators from the Ministry of Transport, led by Director Fred Kabunge, recovered the plane's black box, which will be sent to the US, Canada, or France for further analysis.