Gen Z protests force early school closures
Education
By
Mike Kihaki
| Jun 23, 2025
School principals have abruptly released students ahead of the scheduled mid-term break for the second term, as the country braces for another wave of anti-government protests led by defiant Gen Z youths.
Fearing for the safety of learners, school administrators began sending students home from Friday, despite the Ministry of Education's calendar indicating that the mid-term break officially begins on Wednesday, June 25.
Yesterday, Nairobi's Central Business District (CBD) was awash with students in school uniforms crowding bus terminals, a scene that has become unsettlingly familiar during periods of political unrest.
"We closed yesterday, and the school administration released us this morning. We'll return on June 29," said a student from Machakos School.
READ MORE
Why dignity should be at the heart of Kenya's digital lending
Kenya faces mounting pressure to wrap up China trade pact
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
CMA extends Kenya Pipeline Company IPO deadline to February 24
Why services sector offers best bet for jobs, economic development
Beyond the cloud: How US firm has built muscle in the digital world
The early closure was prompted by growing tensions surrounding nationwide demonstrations calling for justice for those who lost their lives during protests a year ago.
The demonstrators are also demanding the resignation of Deputy Inspector General of Police Eliud Langat and justice for blogger Albert Ojwang, whose death in police custody has sparked widespread outrage.
This year, the anger is even more focused. Hashtags such as #LangatMustResign, #JusticeForOjwang, and #OccupyStateHouse have flooded social media timelines, as young Kenyans rally against police brutality, state repression, and the controversial Finance Bill.
Two rounds of protests last year descended into violence when police fired tear gas, and in some cases live rounds, at the crowds. At least 15 people were killed and hundreds arrested.
What began as online campaigns on platforms like TikTok and X (formerly Twitter) has evolved into coordinated street protests, even spreading to unlikely places such as nightclubs.
At Highway Secondary School in Nairobi, parents were notified of a sudden change in the school calendar.
Malava Boys High School in Kakamega sent a similar text: "The school will close on Saturday, June 21, and students will be released on Sunday at 7am. Please make arrangements for your son's travel."
Parents, still anxious from previous incidents where students were caught up in protests, have welcomed the decision.
"I'm relieved that the school is taking steps to protect our children. The situation is quite worrying, and they should be at home rather than out in the streets," said Jane Wanjaa, a Nairobi mother of two.
Last term, schools had to compress sports and music activities alongside exams to meet deadlines, said a teacher at State House Girls High School.
National Parents Association chairman Silas Obuhatsa praised the early closure, noting it allows learners to get home safely before unrest escalates.
Last year, a teargas canister was fired near Coast Girls High School in Mombasa as police dispersed protesters, deepening fears among parents and educators.
The second term has been repeatedly disrupted as Gen Z protesters demand accountability, transparency, and better governance.