Parents happy with changes after Hillside fire tragedy
Central
By
Amos Kiarie
| Jan 08, 2025
Hillside Endarasha Academy in Nyeri opened a fresh chapter as parents came in large numbers Tuesday to bring their children for first term.
Parents and guardians expressed confidence in the academy following the September 2024 dormitory fire that killed 21 leaders.
Many parents lauded the transition to a day school. According to Alice Wanjiru, Hillside has taken the necessary measures to ensure the children's safety.
"We must leave what happened behind. It was an accident, and we believe it will not happen again. I am very confident that this year, the results will be outstanding, as this is one of the best-performing schools," she said.
READ MORE
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
CMA extends Kenya Pipeline Company IPO deadline to February 24
Why services sector offers best bet for jobs, economic development
Beyond the cloud: How US firm has built muscle in the digital world
Win for Ruto as High Court okays privatisation of Kenya Pipeline Company
She added that the implementation of comprehensive measures, such as transitioning to a day school, upgrading infrastructure and continuous staff training on emergency response would ensure that learners have a safe and conducive learning environment.
"As a parent, I believe the decision by the school administration to transition to a day school will ensure that every child receives the best possible education while prioritizing their safety," she said.
Tressa Wamuyu, a guardian, said that despite the tragedy, the school will continue producing top-performing students.
"This is the best-performing school within our locality, and the next school is very far away. The school has even been repainted, so we believe this is a fresh start, and we are optimistic that our children will perform well," she said.
Amid the flurry of activities marking the reopening, parents who lost their children expressed their frustration over a lack of progress in investigation.
"The government promised to give us the results of their investigation, but so far, nothing has happened. This delay is only delaying justice for my son," one parent who opted to remain anonymous lamented.
They are urging authorities to expedite the probe and hold those responsible accountable.
"My son's life was taken too soon. His life was precious; he was just starting to live, and now he's gone because of someone's negligence. I need to know what happened and why, so his death does not go unanswered," she said.