President Ruto orders swift investigation into Kware dumpsite bodies
National
By
Esther Nyambura
| Jul 13, 2024
President William Ruto has ordered the National Police Service, the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI), and other relevant bodies to expedite investigations into the incident at Kware dumpsite, where over eight bodies have been recovered so far.
Speaking in Elgeyo Marakwet, the Head of State condemned the act, and emphasised that those found liable must face the law.
"There is no justification for any Kenyan to lose life. We are a democratic country guided by the rule of law. Those involved in mysterious killings in Nairobi and any other part of the country will be held to account," said Ruto.
Human rights organisations, led by the Police Reforms Working Group and Civic Freedom Forum, too condemned the act, urging authorities to close all open quarries and secure the Kware dumpsite as the retrieval process continues.
In a statement released on Saturday, July 13, the organisations stated: "The crime scene should be urgently secured, and competent personnel should be involved in overseeing and conducting forensic retrieval of all remaining remains or bodies. The National Construction Authority should also close all open quarries."
READ MORE
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
Why housing has become an economic crisis
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
Furthermore, the defenders of rights demanded that independent observers be present during the postmortem process to boost accountability.
Azimio la Umoja leader Raila Odinga likened the incident to a very "dark moment for Kenya" urging authorities to take action as soon as possible.
"It's a sad and dark moment for Kenya, what we have witnessed in Mukuru Kwa Njenga, pains me deeply. The perpetrators of these and other heinous acts must face the full force of the law immediately," he said.
Their remarks follow the recovery of at least 12 bodies from the Kware dumpsite in Mukuru kwa Njenga, Nairobi County, with a report from DCI revealing that the bodies were severely mutilated and in various stages of decomposition.