×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Informed Minds Prefer The Standard
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download Now

US says progress made at Gaza truce talks in Cairo

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

This handout picture released by the Israeli army on August 23, 2024, reportedly shows Israeli forces during an operation to dismantle a tunnel in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip. [AFP]

The United States said Friday that progress had been made at the latest round of Gaza truce talks, after the presence of Israeli troops on the Egyptian border emerged as a major sticking point.

The White House said CIA chief William Burns was among US officials taking part in the discussions in Cairo, joining the heads of Israel's spy agency and security service.

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.
Bold Reporting Takes Time, Courage and Investment. Stand With Us.
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Uninterrupted ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimized reading experience
  • Weekly Newsletters
  • MPesa, Airtel Money and Cards accepted
Already a subscriber? Log in
By Xinhua 7 hrs ago
Sports
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
By AFP 11 hrs ago
Football
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
By AFP 11 hrs ago
Football
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
By AFP 11 hrs ago
Football
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp