Survivors recall horror of Sondu-Oyugis crash that left 10 wedding guests dead
Nyanza
By
Stanley Ongwae
| Dec 16, 2025
Survivors of the Saturday crash between a matatu and a lorry that claimed 10 lives along the Sondu-Oyugis Highway yesterday recounted how the accident happened.
Four survivors were discharged from Nyamira County Referral Hospital, while two others are being retained for further management. They counted themselves lucky.
When The Standard caught up with the survivors at the hospital, doctors were busy attending to them before their due discharge later in the day.
The survivors sustained light tissue injuries and fractures, while those who remained were left nursing deep cuts and fractures.
READ MORE
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
German 'chemical town' fears impact of industrial decline
AI boom raises pressure for clean energy transition
How to pick the right insurance cover for your car
Push for cryptocurrency regulation gathers pace
How high-stakes home ownership dreams are shattered by city cartels
Geoffrey Achoki, who escaped with head injuries, said the lorry from the opposite direction snapped their van, ripping off the entire row of seats from the driver's to the back.
He said the lorry infringed on their lane, hitting the van and killing some of the passengers instantly. Twelve people were killed in the carnage.
"The lorry was at a very high speed. The driver just came into our lane and hit us, but it could not exactly become a head-on," Achoki said.
Achoki said he had to find his way away from the scene through the window as he struggled to escape from the wreckage of the vehicle.
Another survivor, Martha Bochaberi, 75, said she never realised how fast the accident happened or even had a recollection of the incident itself.
"I just regained my consciousness later when I heard people screaming and saw blood all over the place," Bochaberi said.
She said she has to join the rest of the choir of Rangenyo SDA Church in their journey to Kakamega, where a daughter of their church member was having a wedding ceremony earlier on Sunday.
"We had a smooth journey to the function and even when we were coming back. But unfortunately, the accident happened when we were just a few kilometres from home," Gladys Kwamboka, a choir member, said.
According to the witnesses, three of their colleagues had their heads decapitated due to the high impact of the accident.
The hospital superintendent, Dr Angellah Ogendi, said the four who were due for discharge had been subjected to X-ray investigations that indicated their cases were light.
"We did thorough medical scans and ascertained they were not in any danger and recommended discharge," Dr Ogendi said in a phone conversation.
The hospital superintendent, Dr Angellah Ogendi, said the four who were due for discharge had been subjected to X-ray investigations that indicated their cases were light.
"We did thorough medical scans and ascertained they were not in any danger and recommended discharge," Dr Ogendi said in a phone conversation.