More than 130 families displaced by floods in Homa Bay
Nyanza
By
James Omoro
| Nov 29, 2024
More than 134 households have been left homeless after floods wreaked havoc in Homa Bay County.
The floods came following a heavy rainfall that pounded the county on Wednesday night.
The affected people hail from Rachuonyo North and Suba South Sub-counties.
Rachuonyo North is the worst affected area in which floods displaced more than 100 households. The households hail from Central Karachuonyo Ward.
READ MORE
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
German 'chemical town' fears impact of industrial decline
AI boom raises pressure for clean energy transition
How to pick the right insurance cover for your car
Push for cryptocurrency regulation gathers pace
How high-stakes home ownership dreams are shattered by city cartels
In Kogembo Sub-location, three villages Kosano, Kamwaya and Nyawana have been seriously affected.
Kogembo Sub-Location Assistant Chief Hezekiah Owino said at least 20 homes had been marooned by water.
He said the floods killed a number of livestock and destroyed crops.
"Many families also lost their livelihoods because their on which they depend have been destroyed," Owino said.
Owino said the problem is caused by sedimentation of local rivers.
"Unless the sediments are removed from the rivers to allow free flow of water, families will continue to suffer. We call for joint efforts of leaders to tackle this problem," he added.
Elsewhere, at least 23 families were affected by the floods at Nyandiwa area in Suba Sub-county.