Six killed, three injured in Mandera minibus attack
North Eastern
By
Ibrahim Adan Ali
| May 09, 2026
- Six killed, three injured in Mandera minibus attack. [File, Standard]
Six people have been killed and three others injured after unknown assailants attacked a vehicle they were travelling in in Mandera.
According to County Police Commander Robinson Ndiwa, four armed men attacked the minibus carrying 15 passengers at Umar Jilo in Arabia village, Mandera County.
The police boss said three other passengers, together with the driver, escaped the scene unhurt and were found alive and safe.
He, however, noted that one passenger believed to have escaped alongside the three is still unaccounted for as police continue searching for him.
READ MORE
Kenya to double power imports from Ethiopia to meet demand
KCB shareholders approve Sh22.5b dividend payout
National Bank reports 275pc jump in Q1 profit
New push to increase funding for research and development
Kenya positioned as Africa's next AI innovation hub
Chaka's housing boom bets on investors' demand for city-style
New coating system looks to spruce up Kenya's construction finishes
Court declines to fast-track petition against EPRA fuel prices
Govt moves to close Sh56bn rice import gap with irrigation push
Changing face of Nairobi's downtown as investors splash billions on new skyscrapers
The three injured passengers are being treated at Mandera County Referral Hospital and may be airlifted to Nairobi for further treatment if their condition worsens.
Commander Ndiwa said the county had not experienced such a heinous act in recent years and assured residents that the attackers would be brought to justice.
The minibus was carrying community elders who were travelling to Arabia town for a family occasion.
A multi-agency security team has been dispatched to the area to search for the assailants. No arrests have been made so far.