CS Nakhumicha says injured protesters were treated for free, questions online fund drive
NEWS
By
Vincent Kejitan
| Jul 03, 2024
Health CS Susan Nakhumicha on Wednesday said anti-Finance Bill protesters injured in the last few days were treated for free, and questioned the motive of an online fund drive created to clear hospital bills.
Through her X account, Nakhumicha said 294 casualties had been referred to different hospitals and 235 had been treated and discharged.
She added that 58 were still admitted and none had been asked for payment.
"My attention has been drawn to efforts by some individuals to raise funds from the public to pay hospital bills for persons injured during the demonstrations.
"Out of the total 294 casualties attended to in our Referral Hospitals, 235 have been treated for various degrees of injuries and discharged and none has been asked for payment," she wrote.
READ MORE
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
Adding: "58 are still admitted with 1 in ICU, 3 waiting for theatre. We wish them quick recovery."
This comes days after activist Hanifa Adan set up a fund drive on M-Changa to aid those injured during the protests.
Dubbed 'Care for the Injured' the initiative has so far raised Sh29,702,024 and will run for the next 20 days.
In a swift response, Hanifa said Kenyatta National Hospital waived bills after the plight of several patients was highlighted and that it was difficult to transfer some of them to other hospitals where they could be attended to.
"Wewe mama, KNH waived the bills after you guys were aired here and I mentioned that. There are so many people in KNH complaining up to now that they haven't received surgery yet and are in pain. We transferred 5 people from KNH to Nairobi West and they're doing well. KNH refused for people to be transferred after that and started politics.
"Unlike the government, I have receipts. I'm heading out as a reporter now," she wrote.
According to the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNHCR), 39 people were killed during the protests and 361 sustained injuries.
In a statement signed by the commission's chairperson Roseline Odede, those who lost their lives were from Nairobi (17), Nakuru (3), Laikipia (1), Narok (1), Kajiado (3), Uasin Gishu (4), Kakamega (1), Kisumu (2), Kisii (1), Mombasa (3), Siaya (1), Kiambu (1) and Nandi (1).
Additionally, the commission indicated there were 32 cases of involuntary disappearances and 627 instances of arrests of protestors.