Nakuru misses out as Kiambu bags Sh1.6bn World Bank cash
National
By
Steve Mkawale
| Feb 23, 2026
Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika. Only Naivasha and Gilgil qualified for the World Bank funds for KUSP II, while Kiambu County received more than Sh1.6 billion for all its 10 municipalities. [File, Standard]
Nakuru City has missed out on World Bank funds for the Kenya Urban Support Programme II (KUSP II).
According to a Gazette notice issued by Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi last week, Nakuru City was not among 35 counties and 62 municipalities to benefit from funding under the “County Government Additional Allocations Act”.
Efforts by The Standard to obtain comments from Governor Susan Kihika’s administration did not bear fruit.
READ MORE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
Africa Summit win for Kenya and continent, but on whose terms?
Youth gain skills in electronics repair and e-waste management
From Boeing cockpit to truck seat: Building Africa's logistics backbone
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
David Kuria, the county’s Chief Officer for Housing and Urban Development, a key player who last year initiated a capacity-building and technical support process to prepare for KUSP II, did not respond to phone calls or text messages.
During the preparation stage, Kuria had indicated to the KUSP II County Project Coordinating Team that the programme would focus on improving urban governance, service delivery and sustainability.
However, the city failed to meet the strict World Bank conditions for funding following the previous disbursement.
Only Naivasha and Gilgil qualified, while Kiambu County received more than Sh1.6 billion for all its 10 municipalities.
Multiple sources told The Standard that Nakuru failed to meet KUSP II (APA1) minimum conditions met by Kiambu municipalities. These include full municipal board composition and functionality as required under the Urban Areas and Cities Act, full-time staff with professional registration, inclusion of the urban vote in the county budget, and public disclosure of municipal documents.
It was also alleged that Nakuru City failed to factor the urban vote into its budget and did not disclose key municipal documents to the public.
The lack of funding is expected to significantly affect Nakuru City’s development, which is currently facing challenges including poor road networks, inadequate drainage, poor street lighting and garbage collection problems.
Of the Sh6.7 billion allocated across 35 counties and 62 municipalities for the 2025–2026 financial year, Kiambu received the largest share.
Other major allocations include Turkana (Sh667 million for two municipalities), Garissa (Sh626 million), Uasin Gishu (Sh465 million for the newly established Eldoret City), Kajiado (Sh418 million), Kisumu (Sh411 million) and Machakos (Sh374 million).
Kiambu Governor Kimani Wamatangi said the funds will be used to tarmac roads, lay cabro paving on streets and walkways, improve drainage systems, install solar streetlights and upgrade sewerage systems. He said projects are expected to begin within the next two months and will complement ongoing rural roads rehabilitation and installation of 12,000 solar streetlights.
“Since taking office, I have pushed for the creation of additional municipalities despite opposition. By establishing municipalities, I aimed to attract funding for infrastructure development. With this allocation, residents should expect accelerated road works, including tarmacking and cabro paving,” Wamatangi said.
Under the allocation, Ruiru Sub-county (Ruiru and Githurai municipalities) received Sh480 million; Kikuyu Sh371 million; Thika Sh246 million; Karuri Municipality (Kiambaa) Sh190 million; Juja Sh152 million; Kiambu Township Sh144 million; and Limuru Sh79 million.
County Chief Officer for Urban Planning and Municipal Administration Martin Kangiri said Kiambu was initially set to receive Sh1.3 billion, but the allocation increased after some counties failed to meet eligibility requirements.
“Kiambu received an additional Sh300 million after meeting the required conditions. The extra funds came from municipalities that did not qualify and were redistributed among compliant counties,” Kangiri said.
Wamatangi said Kiambu had lost more than Sh15 billion over 10 years of devolution due to delays in granting municipality status to deserving urban centres. The county, which has 12 constituencies and a population of over three million people, previously had six municipalities — Thika, Ruiru, Kiambu, Karuri, Limuru and Kikuyu — created during former Governor William Kabogo’s tenure.
These towns have benefited from road paving, drainage upgrades, sewerage systems and street lighting under earlier phases of KUSP.
The governor said he has since conferred six new municipalities — Githurai, Juja, Gatundu, Githunguri, Kabete and Lari — which he said will attract more funding. He added that most county functions have been devolved to municipal levels to improve service delivery.
Wamatangi said municipalities are essential for attracting investment and promoting equitable resource distribution. Across Kenya, several governors have also created new municipalities to qualify for future KUSP allocations.
Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga conferred municipality charters on Oyugis, Ndhiwa, Kendu Bay and Mbita; Nyandarua and Siaya counties have also established new municipalities. However, not all have qualified for funding in the current financial year and may be considered in future grant allocations.