Ruto defends Sh323b Kenya-US health deal amid fears over citizen data
National
By
Denis Omondi
| Dec 10, 2025
President William Ruto has dismissed claims that the government agreed to share Kenyan citizens' data with the United States through a Sh323 billion health deal signed Thursday, December 4.
Speaking at the National and County Governments Summit at State House Nairobi on Wednesday, December 10, Ruto said the agreement was carefully reviewed by the State Law Office and posed no threat to citizens' health data.
"There is no equivocation, whatsoever, that the agreement can undermine the interest of the people of Kenya including matters to do with our health data. The office of the Attorney General went through the agreement with a tooth comb," said Ruto.
"No government will take advantage of the people of Kenya so long as I am President," he added
The final document followed intense negotiations when US officials visited Kenya.
READ MORE
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale and Medical Services Principal Secretary Ouma Oluga led the Kenyan delegation.
Ruto said the agreement is similar to previous cooperation agreements between the two countries.
Under the deal, the US government will provide Sh206 billion while Kenya contributes the balance over five years.
Funds will support health programmes targeting HIV/Aids, malaria, and polio in collaboration with counties.
Some Kenyans have raised concerns that the agreement could allow US institutions to bypass safeguards in the Data Protection Act.
Ruto suggested opposition stemmed from non-governmental organisations that previously benefited from donor funding.
"It is not me who said this. The US government said it didn't want to fund the NGO industry. So, if anyone feels aggrieved because they were making good money, owning luxurious offices, and driving big cars, why blame us?" noted Ruto.
Last Monday, the Ministry of Health released the full agreement amid growing public scrutiny and sent officials for media engagements to address concerns.
Ruto also revealed that talks for a bilateral trade agreement are at an advanced stage and could be signed in January 2026, making Kenya the first African country to secure such a deal post Africa Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA).
MOST READ
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
BUSINESS
By James Wanzala