Government releases Sh2.4b Inua Jamii funds for vulnerable citizens
National
By
Denis Omondi
| Oct 08, 2025
The government has released Sh2.4 billion to cushion vulnerable groups from economic hardship under its flagship programme, Inua Jamii.
According to Social Protection and Senior Citizens Affairs Principal Secretary Joseph Motari, disbursement of the funds began on Monday, October 6, covering the September payment cycle.
"The Ministry of Labour and Social Protection, through the State Department for Social Protection and Senior Citizen Affairs, has released Sh2,425,340,000 for payments to over 1.2 million beneficiaries enrolled in the Inua Jamii programme," said Motari, in a statement.
He added that each beneficiary will receive Sh2,000 for the September 2025 cycle.
The Inua Jamii programme targets marginalised Kenyans, including the elderly aged 70 and above, persons with disabilities, orphans, and other disadvantaged groups.
READ MORE
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
German 'chemical town' fears impact of industrial decline
AI boom raises pressure for clean energy transition
How to pick the right insurance cover for your car
Push for cryptocurrency regulation gathers pace
How high-stakes home ownership dreams are shattered by city cartels
Beneficiaries now receive their stipends through mobile money payments, following a transition from the banking system in January to improve efficiency and accessibility.
However, the programme has in the past faced delays in disbursement, deepening the suffering of those it seeks to support. The number of beneficiaries has continued to rise despite budget constraints.
Last month, the government released Sh3.4 billion for 1.7 million beneficiaries under the August cycle.
In early August, Sh4.6 billion was disbursed to cover June and July, after a delay linked to a data clean-up exercise.
The highest disbursements of Sh3.5 billion were made in January, April, and May, albeit with an equally high number of beneficiaries, 1.7 million each.
The government has committed to sustaining the programme, launched during former President Uhuru Kenyatta's administration.
"The Inua Jamii Cash Transfer Programme remains a cornerstone of the government's social protection strategy," he said. "It aims to alleviate poverty and promote the well-being of the most vulnerable members of society, including older persons aged 70 and above, and persons living with severe disabilities."