Court bars police from arresting Ndiangui Kinyagia after reappearance
National
By
Sharon Wanga
| Jul 03, 2025
The High Court has barred the police officers from arresting activist Ndiangui Kinyagia until further direction is given regarding his case.
In a court hearing on Thursday, where Kinyagia reappeared after being declared missing for a week, Justice Chacha Mwita ruled that he be given time to talk to his family and lawyer.
"The family is granted time to have the petitioner with them and take him to the hospital for medical attention. This matter will be heard on the 18th and 24th of July, at 10.30 am both days inclusive," Mwita ordered.
Mwita said that the police are not allowed to arrest Kinyagia, who is now a petitioner in the matter and may be required to testify.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
"The second petitioner may be presented to the DCI officers to record a statement if need be and he should be presented by his advocates but he should not be arrested or detained until further orders of this court," he added.
The judge was responding to concerns raised by Lawyer Kibe Mungai, who was representing the family in court.
Mungai had requested the court to allow Kinyagia more time to talk to his family, citing his client's state of mind and health.
"He appears very traumatised and sounds as such, very traumatised. I have not had a session to debrief him on the relevant matters that are the subject of these proceedings. I would like and I request that this Honourable Court grant the family and me time for us to be able to talk to him in confidence and privacy," Mungai said.
Mungai further appealed to be given more time until next week to appear in court with Kinyagia.
The lawyer also notified the court that he had been informed of Kinyangia's whereabouts by fellow advocate Wahome Thuku on Tuesday evening.
The news of Kinyangia's reappearence was broken on Thursday morning by his lawyer Thuku through a social media post.
Kinyagia, 35, an information technology expert and blogger behind the X account Daguin Dd, was reported missing after mobilising online support for the Wednesday, June 25, Generation Z (Gen Z) protests.