West Ham's Paqueta cleared of betting charges
Football
By
AFP
| Jul 31, 2025
West Ham midfielder Lucas Paqueta has been cleared of spot-fixing charges by an independent regulatory commission, the club announced on Thursday.
The Brazilian international was charged with four alleged breaches of FA rules in relation to matches involving the Premier League side.
It was alleged that the 27-year-old directly sought to influence matches by intentionally seeking to receive a card from the referee for the "improper purpose of affecting the betting market".
He denied the charges and the independent regulatory commission found the charges not proven following a hearing.
The Football Association said two charges against Paqueta related to a failure to cooperate with its investigation had been found proven.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
It said a commission would decide on an appropriate sanction for those proven breaches "at the earliest opportunity".
The Brazilian said in a statement issued by West Ham that he had always maintained his "innocence against these extremely serious accusations".
West Ham United vice-chair Karren Brady said: "We are pleased Lucas has been cleared. He has maintained his innocence from the outset, and as a club we have resolutely stood by him and supported him throughout the process."