Police identify body found in Nyamira shallow grave
Crime and Justice
By
Fred Kagonye
| Mar 26, 2026
Detectives in Nyamira County have said a body exhumed from a shallow grave in Nyamaruo belongs to a medical officer who went missing in February.
Authorities identified the remains as those of 41-year-old Duke Nyang’au Obasancho. Preliminary findings show he had a penetrating neck wound.
Police confirmed his identity after matching his fingerprints with records at the National Registration Bureau (NRB).
Obasancho, from Kemera Location in Manga Sub-county, was reported missing on February 23. At the time, he was serving as a medical superintendent and community health nursing officer at Nyamusi Sub-County Hospital.
READ MORE
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Authorities are treating the case as a murder and are investigating who killed him and why.
The development comes as investigators probe the discovery of 33 bodies and six body parts in a mass grave in Kericho County. Some of the bodies, including those of children, were found in gunny bags.
The case has drawn national and international attention, with homicide detectives pitching camp at the site for the past five days.
The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) said preliminary findings showed that 13 unclaimed bodies in neighboring Nyamira had been cleared for disposal and were taken to Kericho for burial on March 20.
Kericho Criminal Investigations Officer Ethaiba Mwenda said police were not informed of the planned burial.
“The police were not notified of the intention to bury the bodies in Kericho,” he told The Standard.
Two people, Richard Towett, a public cemetery caretaker, and David Araka, a records officer at Nyamira County Referral Hospital, are now in custody. A court allowed police to detain them for 30 days as investigations continue.
Homicide detectives have raised concerns about discrepancies in the number of bodies approved for disposal in a court order.
“Preliminary investigations have established discrepancies between the number of the deceased persons disclosed by the respondents, the reportees, and the suspected altered or forged court orders give an inference of efforts to conceal evidence on offences under investigations,” Chief Inspector Peter Kamau said in his affidavit to the court.
Six street boys hired to assist with the burials told investigators they were paid Sh1,000.