Ruto appoints 15 Court of Appeal judges
Crime and Justice
By
Fred Kagonye
| Jan 27, 2026
President William Ruto has appointed 15 judges to the Court of Appeal.
The appointments were announced in a Gazette notice dated January 27, 2026. The judges will now be sworn in before assuming their duties.
Those appointed from the Bar include Ruto’s lawyer Katwa Kigen, IPOA Chairperson Issack Hassan, Paul Lilan, Johnstone Okello, and Brown Murungi.
Appointees drawn from the Bench are Justices Hedwig Ong’undi, Nduma Nderi, Linnet Ndolo, Chacha Mwita, Lucy Mwihaki, Samuel Okong’o, Rachel Ng’etich, Munyao Sila, Byram Ongaya, and Stephen Radido, who were serving in various courts.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Justices Ongaya, Radido, Ndolo, and Nderi were serving in the Employment and Labour Relations Court, while Justice Ong’undi was stationed at the High Court in Nakuru.
Justice Mwita headed the Constitutional and Human Rights Division of the High Court, while Justice Njuguna led the Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Division.
Justices Okong’o and Munyao served in the Environment and Land Court, while Justice Ng’etich was based at the High Court in Kabarnet.
The appointments raise the number of judges at the Court of Appeal to 42, up from 27.
The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) announced the judges’ nomination last week, following a two-week interview process in which 35 shortlisted candidates were interviewed from 95 applications.
The appointments are expected to help reduce the case backlog at the appellate court.
Chief Justice Martha Koome said the recruitment process was rigorous, transparent, and competitive, and was conducted in full public view, with interviews broadcast live.
“It involved public advertisement of vacancies, public participation before shortlisting, open interviews and thorough vetting in accordance with the Constitution, the Judicial Service Act and relevant regulations," she said.
She added that candidates were assessed on professional competence, communication skills, integrity, fairness, sound judgment, legal and life experience, as well as a demonstrated commitment to public service, the rule of law, and constitutionalism.