Kiambu County investigating suspected Mpox case
Health & Science
By
Gitau Wanyoike
| Aug 17, 2024
Kiambu County has launched investigations into what it termed as a suspected case of mpox disease.
A statement by Health CEC Dr Elias Maina said a suspected case of the disease was reported at Thika Level 5 Hospital following a referral of a patient from a private hospital in Murang'a County.
Dr Maina said swab samples from the patient have been taken and are currently under analysis at National Public Health Laboratories (NPHL) for analysis to confirm the diagnosis.
READ MORE
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
This comes days after the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the new variant of the Mpox disease as a public health emergency of international concern terming the strain as more lethal, spreading fast and causing more fatalities.
WHO declared the disease an international public health emergency on Tuesday, following a surge of cases in at least 13 countries in Africa.
Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda and South Africa are among countries that have reported the disease that had been, until recently, domiciled in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) since the 1970s.
But Doctor Maina in the statement indicated that there is no cause for alarm and the situation is being closely monitored
"The county through the Department of Health Services has activated all necessary measures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all the residents," said Dr Maina.
He said measures have been put in place to respond promptly and effectively to any development.
Initial reports indicated that the 21-year-old is a resident working in an avocado export company within the county.
According to the reports, the lady had been in contact with numerous customers and drivers from Uganda, Tanzania, Bungoma, Sondu Miriu, and Nandi Hills.
The county said these contacts, who are involved in transporting fruits to the factory, are now under scrutiny as part of the ongoing investigation.
Dr Maina called on residents to remain calm and follow official channels for more information and updates.