KWS launches new measures after hyena kills child in Juja
Environment
By
David Njaaga
| Sep 05, 2024
The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) has vowed to intensify efforts to address escalating human-wildlife conflict following the death of a 5-year-old boy in Juja, Kiambu.
The child was attacked by a hyena on the evening of Wednesday, September 4, near Flat Estate in Witeithie location.
In a statement on Thursday, September 5, KWS expressed condolences to the victim's family and announced its commitment to increased measures.
"We deeply regret the tragic loss of the young child and are working hard to prevent further incidents," said KWS.
The Service noted that managing wildlife outside protected areas poses challenges, as many animals move seasonally in search of food and water.
READ MORE
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
Motivational speakers: When they sell you false business hopes
Africa Summit win for Kenya and continent, but on whose terms?
KWS launched Operation Ondoa Fisi-2 on August 8 in response to previous attacks in Juja, which had claimed another young victim.
The operation, which aims to track and relocate hyenas, has so far captured 38 of the animals and sealed 12 quarries used as their hideouts.
KWS urged residents to report any sightings of hyenas through its 24/7 hotline.
Police said the boy's body was discovered hours after the attack, leading to protests by locals who blocked Thika Highway for hours on Thursday.
The residents demanded urgent action, vowing to eliminate all hyenas in the area themselves.
Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua previously promised increased government intervention, stating that multi-agency teams would be deployed to track and trap hyenas in Kiambu's Juja estates.