RSF attacks kill 50 in Khartoum in one week
Africa
By
AFP
| Mar 19, 2025
This picture shows the burnt and heavily damaged facilities of the Jaili Oil Refinery, Sudan's largest, north of the capital Khartoum on March 18, 2025. [AFP]
Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces killed at least 50 people in Khartoum during the past week, rescuers said Wednesday, as fighting with the army for control of the capital intensifies.
"Khartoum is experiencing tragic conditions, with citizens in multiple areas facing widespread violations by the RSF and allied militias," the Khartoum Emergency Response Room, part of a network of volunteers coordinating aid across Sudan, said in a statement.
The group said about 70 people, including 12 volunteers, had been abducted during the past week, and that forced displaced had sharply increased in the capital's centre, south, and east.
Cases of sexual violence had also been reported, though the exact numbers remained unclear due to fear and social stigma, the group said.
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
Malnutrition, it added, had reached "dangerous" levels, leaving seven children dead since the start of March.
The United Nations children's agency, UNICEF, says about 3.2 million children are expected to face malnutrition in Sudan this year.
Famine has been declared in three displacement camps in the western region of Darfur as well as parts of the Nuba mountains in the south, according to a UN-backed assessment.
The war between the RSF and the army, which began in April 2023, has escalated in recent months, with the army seeking to reclaim territory in Khartoum and beyond.
In a video address shared Saturday on Telegram, RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Daglo appeared wearing a kadamol headscarf, often associated with RSF fighters, and declaring his troops "will not leave the Republican Palace".
The army said on Monday that its forces advancing on Khartoum from the south had converged with troops in the capital's centre, increasing pressure on rival paramilitary fighters and inching closer to retaking the city.
Nationwide, the conflict has killed tens of thousands, uprooted more than 12 million, and created the world's largest hunger and displacement crises.
In Khartoum alone, at least 3.5 million people have been forced from their homes due to the violence while at least 100,000 people are facing acute famine conditions, according to the United Nations.