New York court overturns Harvey Weinstein sex crime conviction
World
By
AFP
| Apr 25, 2024
New York's highest court on Thursday overturned disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein's 2020 conviction on sex crime charges and ordered a new trial.
In their 4-3 decision, judges cited errors in the way the trial had been conducted, including admitting the testimony of women who were not part of the charges against him. "Order reversed and a new trial ordered," the ruling said.
Weinstein, 72, was convicted in February 2020 of rape and sexual assault by a court in New York, and later sentenced to 23 years in prison.
He was subsequently convicted and sentenced by a Los Angeles court to an additional 16 years in prison for the rape of a woman in a Beverly Hills hotel room.
Bombshell allegations broke against the Academy Award winning producer in 2017, launching the #MeToo movement and paving the way for hundreds of women to fight back against sexual violence in the workplace.
READ MORE
Rights groups threaten strike over rising femicide cases
Don: Everyone should plant 300 trees annually
KFS gets 3 million tree seedlings boost for Jaza Miti drive
Crypto users face tougher rules as state moves to tighten oversight
Why May 15 marks a moment of Somalia's institutional renewal
Kenya turns to farmers and schools to drive tree planting campaign
Doctors set 90-day ultimatum for pay talks, warn of strike
Kabras chase history as KCB seek revenge in Kenya Cup final
Mwaura: Nine in 10 new jobs created in 2025 were informal
Top bank chiefs reap millions in pay and perks on bumper profits
"With today's decision, this Court continues to thwart the steady gains survivors of sexual violence have fought for in our criminal justice system," one of the judges who dissented with the decision said.
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.MOST READ
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
FOOTBALL