Families left homeless as county, locals battle for 210-acre land

Western
By Nathan Ochunge | Apr 09, 2024
Police stand guard at the disputed Mumias Triangle plots on April 8, 2024. [Benjamin Sakwa, Standard]

At least 35 families have been left homeless after they were evicted from a disputed piece of land.

Some of the farmers who had taken advantage of the ongoing long rains to plant are now helpless.

Police officers led by Mumias West Sub County Police Commander Stephen Muoni ordered them to stop planting and vacate the troubled land. Five people were injured as the officers used tear gas to disperse defiant residents.

The county government is claiming the land, but the farmers claim they have documents to prove their ownership. "This is my land. You cannot order me and the workers to move out for no good reason," said Suleiman Sumba.

"The title deeds to my two parcels of land at Mumias Triangle are here but the county government is claiming ownership of it."

He added: "As we are talking, the maize seeds I bought are wasting away in the fields as the police have denied us access to the farm."

Sumba said a similar thing happened last year. "We planted maize but unknown people cut down the crops at night."

James Wambani, 67, says he has a title deed for his two-acre piece of land, but claims to have been warned against planting.

"Between the person who has a title deed and the one who does not have any, who should claim ownership of the plot in dispute?" said Wambani.

"The county is claiming that the parcels were sold to the government by our forefathers. We have asked them to show us the records showing the plots were sold but they don't have anything to show not even a payment voucher."

Wambani wondered why the government never processed a title deed 52 years after the alleged compulsory acquisition of the 210-acre land at Ekama, Mumias town. "We still have the original title deeds of our forefathers that we have been using to carry our succession."

According to Musa Ndaliro, a resident, the defunct Mumias Town Council issued similar threats in 1992 and 1993. In June 2006, over 20 families were evicted at night to pave the way for the construction of the Nabongo Cultural Centre.

Ndaliro said since 2013, they have been receiving threats and intimidation from senior government officials.

"We want the county to show us a legal gazette notice showing that the land was compulsorily acquired by the government and payment was done, a chief valuer's valuation report showing how much each person was to receive and payment vouchers signed by all affected persons," said Ndaliro.

Lands Chief Officer Justine Mutobera promised to produce the relevant documents to prove ownership.

In June 2019, Governor Wycliffe Oparanya's attempts to evict hundreds of families from the land failed. Notices were issued and county officials under police protection erected beacons.

But a letter dated January 20, 2014, from former National Lands Commission Vice Chairperson Abigael Mbagaya and addressed to Oparanya had a contrary opinion.

"The commission has studied the documents you presented and would like to notify you that the commission does not have records of the acquisition of land for the extension of Mumias town," said the commission.

However the police said they would not allow the farmers or the county government officials at the disputed plots. "We only came to maintain law and order as we cannot sit down and see the locals and county officials taking law into their own hands," said Muoni.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS