Kenyans ready to battle at World Chess Olympiad Championships

Unique Sports
By Ernest Ndunda | Sep 12, 2024
Joyce Ndirangu (right) and Mongeli Shasha in a past event. [Omondi Onyango, Standard]

Kenya has sent a strong team to the World Chess Olympiad Championships that starts on Thursday to September 23 in Budapest, Hungary.

Chess Kenya president Bernard Wanjala said the team left the country in batches due to visa hiccups.

The event has brought together elite chess players from around the world.

In preparation for the Olympiad, Wanjala said Chess Kenya conducted a comprehensive three-phase tournament earlier in February to identify the best players for the national team.

"This early selection allowed ample time for the players to fine-tune their skills ahead of the competition. In addition, Chess Kenya successfully negotiated with Qatar Airways to secure tickets for the entire contingent, ensuring the team's timely travel to the championship months in advance," he said.

International Sasha Mongeli leads the women's team alongside Joyce Nyaruai Ndirangu, Julie Mutisya, Ether Karanja and Mercy Ingado with Moses Andiwoh as head coach.

The men's team under coach Benjamin Magana has Martin Mwangi, Ian Nganga, Elvis Wanasunia, Robert Mc'ligeyo, and Mathew Kanegeni.

Wanjala said the national team faced significant delays in the visa application process due to the late issuance of official invitations and accommodation reservations by the Olympiad organisers, which are essential for applying for Schengen visas.

"Out of the 18 visa applications submitted, six were initially rejected, leading to appeals that further delayed the travel arrangements. As a result, only four players from the open team and two from the ladies' team were able to travel alongside their respective coaches. Unfortunately, this delay has affected the ladies' team, which will not have enough players to field in the first round," said Wanjala.

After tireless efforts, Wanjala said Julie Mutisya and Ether Kariuki secured their visas at the eleventh hour and were due to fly out yesterday just in time for the competition.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS