Bars in Kitengela to close at 11pm ahead of Nane Nane protests

Rift Valley
By Peterson Githaiga | Aug 07, 2024
Kajiado East Member of Parliament Kakuta Maimai address the Kajiado County Security Committee during a meeting on Aug 7, 2024. [Peterson Githaiga, Standard]

Kajiado County Security Committee has ordered all bars and entertainment outlets to close at 11pm Wednesday ahead of the planned Nane Nane protests.

The committee chaired by County Commissioner James Taari has banned anti-government protests along the Nairobi- Namanga- Arusha Highway.

Accompanied by Governor Joseph ole Lenku and Kajiado East MP Kakuta Maimai, Taari said that a contingent of police and other local security officers backed by the county government will be deployed to Kajiado, Kitengela and Ongata Rongai.

"We have agreed voice that all entertainment joints be closed by 11pm today, (Wednesday), this will allow our security forces to monitor those who are allegedly brought to cause chaos in our county, we will not allow what we saw during the previous protests," he said.

The administrator regretted that recent protests led to the loss of property worth about Sh1 billion.

During protests in Kitengela, a fortnight ago, police backed up by vigilantes cracked down on looters believed to have been brought in from another county.

Governor Lenku said that Kitengela and Ongata Rongai will be on high alert. "As much as we respect the right of any Kenyan to demonstrate, Kitengela and, indeed, any urban centre in Kajiado, will not be looting grounds," he said.

He warned of stern action against looters.

"We shall protect businesses by all means possible," he said

"We are tired of the chaos that we witnessed recently. Last week we managed to keep at bay looters and goons in Kitengela. We are warning anybody who thinks he will force business closure in Kitengela. We shall face them head-on," said the governor.

He urged traders to open their businesses tomorrow.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS