KTDA distances itself from election of Chebochok, man implicated in sex scandal

Rift Valley
By Stephanie Wangari | Jul 03, 2024
Though John Chebochok was mentioned adversely, he was never charged in a court of law after his alleged victims failed to come forward. [File, Standard]

The Kenya Tea Development Agency (KTDA) has distanced itself from the election of John Chebochok as the director of Tegat/Toror Tea Factory.

Chebochok, a man implicated in a BBC expose titled Sex for Work, was elected as the factory's director after garnering 396 votes.

In a statement on Wednesday, KTDA said the management of the election is a preserve of the Independence Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) who vetted the candidates before they were presented for the election.

"Each factory Company is an independent entity with its own memorandum and articles of association that stipulate how the directors' elections are to be done. He [Chebochok] was elected by one of the six electoral areas of the factory on June 18 and the shareholders of the factory will have to make a final decision at a special general meeting on whether to accept him as a factory director or not," said KTDA.

Finlays, a company that had previously employed Chebochok, called for his immediate removal as Tegat Factory director.

The company, in an email to KTDA, threatened to cut ties with the factory if Chebochok held the position. His appointment, Finlays said, would undermine the work done by various stakeholders on Gender Based Violence.

"Please be aware that we will not be able to continue to purchase tea from Toror Tea Factory while Mr.Chebochok holds the role of Director. We are monitoring the situation closely and trust you will take swift and decisive action on its matter," said Finlays.

In the BBC Africa Eye documentary, Chebochok was one of the managers filmed preying on female workers in exchange for contract renewal and better working terms.

In the BBC investigative report, more than 70 women claimed they had been sexually exploited by their supervisors on farms owned by Unilever, Lipton, and James Finlay.

Some women said that out of a lack of options, they gave in to the sexual advances from their bosses for fear of being sacked.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS