State starts resettlement of Mai Mahiu landslide affected families

Rift Valley
By Antony Gitonga | May 20, 2024
A house in the middle of the village hard-hit by floodwaters in Mai Mahiu. [Denish Ochieng, Standard]

A team has been formed to spearhead the resettlement of at least 100 families displaced by floods in Mai Mahiu, Nakuru county.

The team, comprising grassroots leaders and officials from both county and national governments, will audit the loss suffered by the families, and property damaged by floods, and craft the resettlement plan.

Officers from the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) and National Youth Service (NYS) have also embarked on the process of rehabilitating feeder roads and bridges that were swept away by the floods.

So far, 62 bodies have been recovered, over 30 people are missing and 56 families have been resettled in rented houses and another 93 are in two different camps in Mai Mahiu.

Outgoing Naivasha Deputy County Commissioner Mutua Kisilu says the government would keep its word on resettling the victims, the majority of whom lost all their personal effects.

Kisilu says a team of experts was already on the ground surveying the scene where the flash floods swept through before issuing a report.

"We have formed three committees to address the issues of resettlement, education and infrastructure destroyed by the floods," he said.

Speaking after meeting the committee, the DCC said there were a total of 93 families in two camps awaiting the promised resettlement and construction of houses by the government.

"We have challenged them to look for rental houses as the government addresses their resettlement as it is easier living there than in camps," he said. On the damaged infrastructure, Kisilu said over Sh50 million was needed but this could be halved through the use of KDF officers and their machinery.

"All the officers require is fuel and we expect the rehabilitation to be completed in ten weeks. Priority areas are damaged bridges and major access roads," he said.

Naivasha MP Jayne Kihara, who is a member of the committee, said they had received Sh2 million from Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua towards supporting school-going children.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS