Senate summons Kihika over War Memorial Hospital saga

Politics
By Antony Gitonga | Feb 26, 2024
Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

The Senate Health Committee has summoned Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika over the dispute surrounding the War Memorial Hospital.

With services in the hospital paralyzed for the second month running, the Senate has called on all parties involved to furnish them with the ownership documents.

The move comes as the wrangles between the county and the hospital management persist with the latter accused of ignoring six court orders.

Last week, Chief Justice Martha Koome hit out at the county's top officials for disobedience of court orders as it emerged that judges handling the case had been threatened.

Nakuru Senator Tabitha Karanja said the committee was keen to get information from all parties on the hospital that has been in the news for the wrong reasons.

Ms Karanja revealed that she filed a petition in the Senate after the county took over the facility that has for years treated dialysis patients.

"All parties involved in this saga, including the Governor, have been summoned by the Senate so that the truth can be known," she said.

Addressing the press, the senator who has been vocal over the hospital saga, noted that more than 300 workers had lost their jobs due to the wrangles.

She said the hospital was critical to the health sector and vowed to continue fighting for its opening to end the suffering of patients.

The Senator pointed an accusing finger at Governor Kihika and the County Police Commander for the continued closure of the hospital.

"I was shocked when the governor met religious leaders and openly and without shame lied about the hospital, which continues to remain in the hands of goons," she said.

The Senator warned that failure to obey court orders spelt doom for the country, and that this had set a bad precedent and eroded investors' confidence.

"As a senator for Nakuru, I am afraid that my people's frustrations have reached fever pitch point, and I can feel their frustration," she said.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS