Salasya to be arraigned in court over assault

Mumias East MP Peter Salasya. [Benjamin Sakwa, Standard]

Mumias East MP Peter Salasya is expected to appear before Mumias Law Courts to face assault charges.

Mumias East Sub-County Police Commander Dorice Chemos told The Standard that Salasya will likely face two charges of assault and causing disorder in a public place.

"Nothing has changed, we will be presenting him before Mumias Law Courts for assaulting MCA Peter Walunya and causing a disturbance at the funeral," said Chemos.

On Friday last week, Salasya was captured in a clip ordering the Malaha-Isongo ward Ward rep to sit down before slapping him.

Walunya would later report the case at Shianda Police Station where the MP was detained before he was released on Saturday morning on a police cash bail of Sh50,000 pending arraignment.

Kakamega Members of County Assembly led by Speaker James Namatsi condemned the attacks on MCAs.

The late Kisa East MCA Stephen Maloba was attacked and killed by goons in April last year.

"We condemn that uncalled-for action and for that reason we will urge the government to at least give our MCAs bodyguards. MCAs have been elected, just like MPs the only difference is the area of jurisdiction," the Speaker said.

Butsotso South MCA Gildon Shioso condemned the attack and demanded that Salasya offer a public apology.

"It is embarrassing for an elected leader to assault another elected leader before the people, we want to tell Salasya to sober up and realize that he was elected to serve the people," said Shioso.

"It is only an MCA who does not have security. We want President William Ruto to accord MCAs bodyguards so that we can dispense our duties freely without fear of attacks," he said.

Majority Leader Philip Maina said the incident exposed the security threats faced by more than 80 MCAs in Kakamega County.

"We want to tell MPs in general that MCAs have no war with them and they should respect us," he said.

Share this story
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
World Boxing and IBA fete Kenyan referees as Mwaura promoted
Two Star 3 Kenyan referees and judges have been feted by World Boxing (WB) as Edward Kibunja Mwaura of Kenya Prisons was promoted by International Boxing Association. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS