War Memorial Hospital land dispute case postponed

Health & Science
By Daniel Chege | Apr 17, 2024
Nakuru War Memorial Hospital gate locked with a chain and padlock, February 7, 2024. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

The Nakuru War Memorial Hospital land dispute case pitting a private company and the county government has been postponed indefinitely.

On Wednesday, lawyers appeared virtually to commence contempt of court proceedings against Governor Susan Kihika, County Secretary Samuel Mwaura, and County Police Commander Samuel Ndanyi.

The case was listed for inter-parties hearing following direction issued by Nyandarua Environment and Land Court Judge Yuvinalis Angima on March 3.

However, Justice Angima who was unaware of the proceedings before his court said he only sat after being notified that lawyers were waiting for him.

He, however, maintained that a notice should have been issued to all parties last week, informing them that the court would not sit this week and all matters listed should be postponed.

Upon inquiry, the Judge was informed by the lawyers that they were not served with any postponement notice.

"The notice should have been issued but since the court is indisposed, this matter will be postponed to a date either next week or beyond. The notice will be forwarded to all parties by the Deputy Registrar," said Justice Angima.

Lawyers Lawrence Karanja and Chomba Kamau had appeared on behalf of the hospital's management while lawyer Okore Jayalo, appeared on behalf of Prof Tom Ojienda, for the county government.

Justice Angima took over the case following recusal by Justices Millicent Odeny and Anthony Ombwayo on January 30 and February 8, respectively.

The private hospital management wants Kihika, Mwaura, and Ndanyi to be cited and convicted of contempt, for allegedly disobeying four court orders on reopening the hospital.

The orders dated January 23, 25 and 30, and February 5, 2024 also stopped the county government from interfering with the running of the hospital until the land dispute is concluded.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS