Hospitals threaten to paralyse services over delayed Linda Mama funds

Health & Science
By Mercy Kahenda | Mar 06, 2024
RUPHA National Chairman Brian Lisheng (centre). RUPHA wants the government to clear a debt of Sh3 billion. [Collins Kweyu, Standard]

Hospitals have threatened to paralyse delivery services offered under the Linda Mama programme across the country, citing the government's failure to release funds.

The hospitals under the umbrella of the Rural Private Hospitals Association of Kenya (RUPHA) want the government to clear a debt of Sh3 billion.

RUPHA National Chairman Brian Lishenga said the government has not disbursed Linda Mama funds for the last eight months.

The money is owed to about 3,000 hospitals among them public, private and faith-based, which offer Linda Mama services.

In a memo written to the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF), the hospitals have given the government an ultimatum of 14 days to settle the debts, failure of which they will withdraw services.

Dr Lishenga said there is no commitment by NHIF, the Ministry of Health and the National Treasury to clear the debt.

"We (hospitals) held a meeting with NHIF on Friday but they told us that their hands are tied up because they have not received money from the National Treasury," he said.

Linda Mama programme

The official added: "It is worrying that the government has ignored Linda Mama programme that is meant to reduce mother and child death during delivery."

The last allocation to the programme was the 2022/23 financial year. In February, this year, the Ministry of Health through the Treasury paid Sh300 million for services that had been rendered under the Linda Mama programme.

The money was distributed to all hospitals that had rendered services.

"The Sh300 million paid by The National Treasury was so little, only 10 per cent of what they owe us," said Lishenga.

He raised fears that with changes in medical schemes from NHIF to Social Health Authority (SHA), the debt might not be cleared.

Linda Mama programme is offered in almost every government hospital ranging from Level 2, 3 to 4.

The programme was initiated in 2016 under NHIF by former President Uhuru Kenyatta with the aim of reducing maternal and infant mortality.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS