Why Man U boss Ten Hag is not packing his bags soon

Football
By AFP | Sep 04, 2024
Manchester United's Dutch manager Erik ten Hag arrives for the English Premier League football match.[AFP]

Manchester United chief executive Omar Berrada says struggling manager Erik ten Hag has the full backing of the club despite a poor start to the Premier League season.

United finished eighth in the league last season -- their worst since 1990 -- but Ten Hag led his men to an unexpected FA Cup final win against Manchester City.

The Dutchman was handed a one-year contract extension in July but only after club bosses considered alternatives.

Now Ten Hag is under pressure again following Sunday's miserable 3-0 home defeat to Liverpool, United's second loss from three games this season, which left them 14th in the table.

Speaking alongside new sporting director Dan Ashworth shortly before kick-off against Liverpool, Berrada said it would take more than a couple of bad results to shake the club's belief in their manager.

Ten Hag's contract was extended before either Berrada or Ashworth had taken up their positions but both said they were happy with the decision.

Ashworth said: "I've really enjoyed working with Erik for the last eight weeks.

"I see my job is to support him in every way I possibly can and whether that's operationally, whether that's with recruitment, whether that's with medical, whether that's with psychology, whether that's training ground flow, it's just to take as much of that off him to allow him to fully focus on the training pitch and the match tactical plan to deliver success for Manchester United."

Ashworth's first few weeks in the job were dominated by the transfer window, in which United signed Matthijs De Ligt, Manuel Ugarte, Joshua Zirkzee, Leny Yoro and Noussair Mazraoui.

But just as notable were the departures of players including Scott McTominay and Jadon Sancho.

After a falling-out with Ten Hag early last season Sancho returned to former club Borussia Dortmund on loan in January.

The pair appeared to have made up as Sancho took part in United's pre-season and played in the Community Shield but on deadline day he joined Chelsea on loan with an obligation to buy.

Asked what had changed, Ashworth said it had been down to the player's wish to move on.

"We felt we had enough depth in that particular position to be able to cover it, we've got four really good wide players," he said.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS