Fact check: Wanted fugitive Kelvin Kang'ethe has not been arrested

Fact Check
By Winfrey Owino | Feb 13, 2024

Confusion surrounds arrest reports as police deny capture of fugitive Kelvin Kang'ethe, wanted for murder in the U.S. [Standard, File]

Police have denied reports that a suspect, Kelvin Kang'ethe who escaped custody at Muthaiga Police Station has been arrested.

Widely circulated reports on social media for the better part of Tuesday alleged that Kang'ethe was arrested from a hideout in Oloolua, Ngong.

But, when contacted, police revealed to The Standard that preliminary investigations led to the arrest of Brian Kang'ethe, his brother in Oloolua area, and a female suspect nabbed in Westlands area of Nairobi.

The two suspects were arrested, in connection with the escape of Kelvin Kang'ethe from police custody.

The two were questioned for allegedly being in communication with Kelvin, who is now a fugitive.

Kang'ethe, who is wanted for murder charges in the United States, walked out of Muthaiga Police Station last week and boarded a matatu.

At the time of the escape, the suspect was released from police cells to chat with his lawyer Beatrice Ng'ethe. However, he reportedly walked out of the station leaving the lawyer waiting for him in the questioning room.

The lawyer was arrested, charged, and released on a Sh100,000 cash bail.

Kang'ethe came to the police radar for allegedly killing his girlfriend in October last year in Boston, U.S.

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS