Death toll hits 19, governor held as Tana River ethnic clashes worsen

Governor Dhadho Godhana and Galole MP Hiribae Said were arrested as detectives intensified their probe into the cause of the deadly clashes. [Kelvin Karani, Standard]

The security crisis in Tana River on Saturday deepened after four more people were killed despite the heavy police presence in the area attempting to quell the tribal clashes that have claimed 19 lives so far.

Governor Dhadho Godhana and Galole MP Hiribae Said were arrested as detectives intensified their probe into the cause of the deadly clashes that have pushed the government to declare the region a disturbed area.

Moments after Godhana'a arrest, the Council of Governors criticized the decision by the police to arrest one of them and claimed proper channels were not followed.

"If the DCI required the governor's presence for questioning, this request should have been communicated through the formal channels, ensuring adherence to established protocols," said Ahmed Abdullahi, the chairperson of the Council of Governors.

According to security sources, the county chief was detained by police officers moments after he presented himself to the DCI headquarters over the ongoing clashes in Tana River.

The Sunday Standard has established that a senior elder of one of the feuding tribes was also arrested by detectives.

This happened as the government declared Bangale and Tana North sub-counties as security-disturbed and dangerous areas following the ongoing tribal conflict.

The state also banned possession of guns in areas experiencing deadly conflict for the next 30 days.

In a gazette notice dated October 11, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki said the notice took effect from 6.30 pm yesterday and will last for 30 days.

In Bangale sub-county, the areas declared dangerous are Madogo, Areri, Saka, Sala, Mororo, and Mbalambala locations.

The dangerous areas in the Tana North sub-county are Hirimani, Hosingo, Dukanotu, Chewele, Nanighi and Bura locations.

The CS said he had made the decision after consultation with the National Security Council.

"This notice shall take effect on October 11, 2024, as from 6.30 pm for 30 days and may, at any time be withdrawn or continued in force for such further period as the Cabinet Secretary may, in each case, by notice in the gazette direct," he said.

In a separate notice, Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja prohibited possession of firearms in the area that the CS had declared security disturbed and dangerous.

"On the taking effect of this notice, all inhabitants of the said areas are ordered, with immediate effect, to surrender all arms in their possession to the nearest police station, police post, police camp, and National Government Administration offices during the hours of the day for safe custody," said Kanja.

He also directed that all arms surrendered shall be returned to their owners upon the revocation or termination of the notice.

Prior to his arrest, Governor Godhana had expressed fear that the ongoing conflict in Bura might spread if the security apparatus fails to contain the situation within a short time.

Speaking in Mombasa County, Godhana called for a thorough investigation and arrest of the people who incite and mobilize for killings in the county. He explained the tribal and political conflict started at a low scale and leaders had meetings with warring communities before it erupted following the recent killing of three people at a village hosting flood victims.

"There are those who are inciting and mobilising communities to engage in conflicts for the problem to be effectively addressed. I hope the security will arrest those behind incitement and mobilisation," he said.

Share this story
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Double Olympic champion and world record holder Faith Kipyegon made a powerful statement at the opening leg of the 2026 Diamond League season
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
Diana Wanza made it a 10,000m double gold for the country when she oozed class in the women’s 25-lap contest on Friday evening.
Eldonets and Stanbic Aces win as UoN, Strathmore students falter
Eldonets rallied from behind to beat University of Nairobi (UoN) Dynamites 67-48, while the bankers defeated Strathmore University Swords 56-46.
Athena revels in her success at global showpiece
Kenya’s teenage sensation, Athena Diamantidis, has expressed her delight after claiming gold and bronze medals
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS