Kindiki declares 12 Tana River areas as high-risk amid ongoing clashes

Coast
By Esther Nyambura | Oct 11, 2024
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki. [Edward Kiplimo,Standard

Several areas in Tana River County have been declared high-risk due to insecurity.

In a Gazette notice dated Friday, October 11, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki identified these areas as disturbed and dangerous.

The order takes effect immediately and will remain in place for 30 days.

"In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 106 (1) of the National Police Service Act 2011, the Cabinet Secretary for Interior and National Administration, in consultation with the National Security Council, declares the following parts of Tana River County as insecure and dangerous."

"This notice shall take effect on 11th October 2024 at 6:30 p.m. for a period of thirty (30) days and may, at any time, be withdrawn or extended for such a further period as the Cabinet Secretary may, by notice in the Gazette, direct."

The affected locations include Madogo, Areri, Saka, Sala, Mororo, and Mbalambala, all within Bangale Sub-County.

In Tana North Sub-County, the areas listed are Hirimani, Hosingo, Dukanotu, Chewele, Nanighi, and Bura.

To this effect, Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja has urged individuals in possession of illegal firearms to surrender them within 30 days.

The notice comes amid ongoing clashes in the region.

As of yesterday, more than ten people had been killed as communities continued to clash, with dozens more hospitalized.

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS