Family closes painful chapter after Shakahola victim is buried

Coast
By Marion Kithi | Mar 30, 2024
Families of Shakahola massacre victims at the Malindi sub county morgue where they camped for the collection of bodies of their loved ones. [Marion Kithi, Standard]

Elizabeth Dzidza Mwatsuma, a victim of the Shakahola massacre, was buried at Dzitsoni village in Kilifi County.

Mwatsuma was the first victim of the massacre to be laid to rest. The family picked her body from the morgue for interment.

Distraught family members wailed as they laid their kin to rest. But the remains was so decomposed that mourners could not view the body to bid her farewell.

Mwatsuma was among the 429 cult members who perished in the Shakahola massacre after a marathon fasting.

An aunt to Mwatsuma, Zawadi Kashero, said their family lost 12 loved ones to the cult but the DNA tests only led to the positive identification of one.

''We lost 12 loved ones in the Shakahola massacre. These were our two daughters and their 10 children,'' said Kashero yesterday, wiping away tears.

She further said the deceased's husband Julius Katana was rescued and is now in custody.

Ms Mwatsuma, a mother of four, joined her elder sister Ms Josephene Mbodze Mwatuma in Malindi and became a member of the Good News international (GIN) church in 2016.

She went to help her sister with household chores and a year later, she got married to a member of the GIN church.

After the closure of the church in Malindi town, they sold their salon business in Malindi and relocated to the Shakahola forest in 2021.

So far, the bodies of 34 people have been identified through DNA testing. Only nine bodies have been released to their families.

From Tuesday, the release of the bodies from the Malindi subcounty hospital mortuary has been going on slowly causing anxiety among relatives.

Although the massacre occurred more than a year ago, many families are still struggling to come to terms with the loss as they wait to collect the bodies of those identified.

Paul Nthenge Makenzi, a former taxi driver in Malindi, allegedly lured hundreds of people to the remote Shakahola forest to prepare for the end of the world. [Marion Kithi]

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS