Mombasa floods: Gachagua accuses Nassir of 'sitting and waiting for help'

Coast
By Joackim Bwana | Nov 22, 2023
Bamburi residents hold onto each other as they walk through flood waters on November 17, 2023. [Kelvin Karani, Standard]

The national government has disbursed Sh10 billion to counties hard-hit by El Nino rains and floods, according to Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua.

Mr Gachagua advised the affected counties to postpone their development plans and redirect funds to address the effects of the floods.

The DP however accused Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Nassir of "folding his arms waiting for help from Nairobi".

Gachagua also said Mombasa "has the worst drainage system which worsened the floods after heavy rains".

"Nassir should borrow a leaf from Nairobi that has employed the youth to unclog its drainage system. Instead of sitting and complaining, he should buy food for his people because he has money," he said.

But Nassir has been distributing food to families affected by floods since last week.

Gachagua said some counties have bought food to supplement efforts by the national government to feed families affected by floods.

"Let Nassir buy food and we will give him military helicopters. Other countries like Wajir, Mandera, and Garisa have done so. This is not the problem for the national government alone," he said.

Yesterday, the deputy president distributed relief food to more than 500 families in Barawa village, Kisauni constituency.

Gachagua called on counties to clear waterways and drainage systems while enhancing financial, technical, and logistical support.

Last week, floods at the Coast claimed 12 lives, causing destruction of property of an unknown value. Thousands of families were displaced in Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale, Tana River, Taita Taveta, and Lamu counties.

Government officials reported several missing individuals, with over 20,000 people displaced. Last week, Coast Regional Coordinator Rodah Onyancha said that the most affected counties are Tana River and Mombasa.

In Tana River, more than 5,000 families were displaced after River Tana burst its banks, leading hundreds of residents to relocate to Gamba.

Ms Onyancha reported that heavy rains and floods have impacted 3,892 families in Mombasa, with at least 300 families lacking shelter as their houses were either submerged or swept away by the floods.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS