Yemen's Houthis claim fresh attacks against two commercial vessels in Red Sea

Asia
By Xinhua | Jun 08, 2024

A cargo ship travels on the Suez Canal in Ismailia Province, Egypt, on Jan 13, 2024. [Xinhua]

Yemen's Houthi group on Friday claimed responsibility for launching missile and drone attacks against two commercial vessels in the Red Sea.

Houthi military spokesman Yahya Sarea said in a statement that the attacks targeted two ships belonging to companies that violated the Houthi decision to ban entry to Israeli ports. He identified the ships as Elbella and AAL GENOA.

In the statement aired by Houthi-run al-Masirah TV, Sarea said the attacks were "carried out with a number of drones, ballistic and naval missiles, and the hits were accurate." He also vowed to launch more such attacks until "Israel stops the war on Gaza."

Earlier in the day, al-Masirah TV reported that "the U.S.-British coalition launched multiple airstrikes against the capital Sanaa and the port city of Hodeidah."

The airstrikes targeted Houthi military positions in both cities, according to local residents.

Since November last year, the Houthi group has launched anti-ship ballistic missiles and drones targeting what they said were Israeli-linked ships transiting the Red Sea, to show solidarity with Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

In response, the U.S.-British naval coalition stationed in the region has conducted air raids and missile strikes against Houthi targets since January to deter the group, but only led to an expansion of Houthi attacks to include U.S. and British commercial vessels and naval ships.

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS