Pakistan arrests 11 involved in attack on Chinese nationals
Asia
By
Xinhua
| May 28, 2024
Pakistan's National Counter-Terrorism Authority Coordinator Muhammad Tahir Rai said Sunday that security forces have arrested 11 suspects accused involved in an attack on Chinese nationals in March this year.
Addressing a joint press conference here with Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, he said the arrested are in police custody on physical remand, adding that they would face trial in local anti-terrorism court where charge sheets would be submitted after completing legal formalities.
Naqvi said that foreign land had been used to attack Chinese nationals in Pakistan, which is a "matter of great concern for Pakistan."
READ MORE
TSC Amendment Bill, 2024: What MPs want
Faith Odhiambo: Two years of bold leadership at LSK
Junior Starlets players dominate Kenya U20 team
Why Coast traders want Senate to throw out Tobacco Bill
Orphan who benefited from Ebenezer scholarship excels in KCSE
Kenya's 'night runner': How a rural ritual with links to witchcraft became an urban staple
State faces new IMF test as loan talks resume
Why Omtatah wants court to block Sh2.8tr railway works
Making agriculture 'cool' again: How to win the youth back into big farming
Alarming clause in Religious Organisations Bill threatens our democracy
The authorities have all the evidence that the attack was planned and operated from Afghan soil by the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), the minister said, adding that "the adversary intelligence agencies" funded them heavily for the attack.
Pakistan has raised this issue with the Afghan interim government, he added.
No official response has been made by the Afghan side.
On March 26, a suicide bomber riding on an explosive-laden vehicle attacked a convoy of Chinese nationals heading towards a hydropower project, killing five Chinese and their Pakistani driver in the Besham area of Shangla district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.