Senegal president Faye calls for 'renewed dialogue' with national press
Africa
By
AFP
| Aug 15, 2024
Senegal President Bassirou Diomaye Faye on Wednesday called for "appropriate recovery measures" for the national press, following sweeping strikes by the media industry over perceived economic pressures and threats to press freedom.
Faye demanded a "renewed dialogue with the national press" which "deserves the particular attention of the government and appropriate recovery measures", according to a government statement.
The statement did not specify what type of recovery measures nor did it mention the nationwide media blackout held Tuesday by many newspapers, radio and television broadcasters as an act of protest.
Faye requested that the government, specifically the communications minister, ensure the country's national press code was being adhered to but also that the press was properly operating "in a spirit of openness" and "in compliance" with regulations, the statement said.
The Senegalese Council of Press Distributors and Publishers (CDEPS) on Monday warned that the industry was under threat, in a joint editorial.
READ MORE
US sanctions DR Congo ex-leader Kabila over rebel ties
UN helps return hundreds of DR Congo refugees from Burundi
DR Congo, M23 armed group agree to ease aid, free prisoners
Government plans stricter laws to clean up tea sector
Violence against journalists in DR Congo rising, says RSF
Tea farmers against some clauses in the tea amendment bill
Ruto strips agriculture body of coffee role in sector shake-up
French aid worker killed in DR Congo air strike
Rwanda hits back at US sanctions over M23 support in DR Congo
US slaps sanctions on Rwanda military over DR Congo 'violation'
The body, which groups editors of both private and public companies, complained that authorities were "freezing the bank accounts" of media companies for non-payment of tax.
It also condemned the "seizure of production equipment", the "unilateral and illegal termination of advertising contracts" and the "freezing of payments" due to the media.
Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko, who took office in early April, has denounced what he called the "misappropriation of public funds" in the sector, alleging some media chiefs were failing to pay social security contributions.
Speaking in late June, he also slammed news outlets who he said were writing whatever they wished without reliable sources.
"The aim is none other than to control information and tame media professionals," the CDEPS said.
At the end of last month, the company behind two of the most widely read sports dailies suspended publication after more than 20 years due to economic difficulties.
From 2021 to 2024, Senegal slipped from 49th to 94th place on media watchdog Reporters Without Borders' World Press Freedom Index.
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.MOST READ
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
FOOTBALL