WHO: 39 people die from measles in South Sudan in 4 months

Africa
By Xinhua | May 15, 2024

A child get a measles jab during a mass vaccination drive in Kenya's Mandera County. [File, Standard]

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday that 39 people have died from measles since January in South Sudan, with a case fatality rate of 1.7 percent.

The UN health agency, in an epidemiological report released in Juba, the capital of South Sudan, reported a total of 2,271 suspected measles cases, with 146 lab-confirmed cases.

"The observed surge in suspected measles cases, with a peak in week 10 and a steady decline since then, indicates an effective increase in interruption efforts," the report said.

The WHO said that the high discrepancy between suspected and confirmed cases highlights a critical need for enhanced sample collection and robust laboratory testing to ensure accurate diagnosis. Improving these aspects will aid in more precise outbreak investigation and reporting, allowing for more targeted public health interventions and resource allocation, according to the report.

The WHO said that there is no ongoing outbreak, but eight counties reporting suspected/confirmed cases have yet to reach the outbreak threshold, warranting further investigation and laboratory validation. In coordination with partners and the Ministry of Health, the WHO is preparing kits to aid in case management in counties experiencing an epidemic.

"The Ministry of Health, the WHO and partners are intensifying measles case management, surveillance and risk communication in locations with suspected and confirmed outbreaks," the agency said.

Share this story
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS