Over 200 arrested as police block former Mungiki leader's meeting
Politics
By
Purity Mwangi
| Jan 01, 2024
Police arrested more than 200 people in Nyeri town, yesterday after they blocked the planned meeting by former Mungiki leader Maina Njenga.
The officers mounted roadblocks and conducted searches on vehicles in the town.
This comes after Nyeri County Police Commander Benjamin Rotich said the meeting was illegal and no one had requested a permit for the rally.
Njenga had vowed to hold an end-of-year thanksgiving meeting at Kabiru-ini showgrounds where youths and Mt Kenya leaders were expected to announce their regional Kingpin.
READ MORE
From Boeing cockpit to truck seat: Building Africa's logistics backbone
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
Africa banks on continental trade agreement to rev up investments
How 300 containers were stolen from Mombasa port
800 youth benefit from 'Glam on Wheels' Initiative
Flower industry loses Sh200m as transport strike hits JKIA cargo
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Legal battle brews over new tea levy, directorship
For Africa to move forward, Africans must be allowed to cross borders
Global housing crisis deepens despite policy gains - UN warns
Tension was high as most businesses remained closed and police in anti-riot gear patrolled the town in trucks.
The showground gates remained closed as armed police officers patrolled the area and refused to allow anyone into the facility.
Earlier, about 20 youths assembled in the central business district in a bid to address a press briefing to protest police harassment but were dispersed by police.
Rotich said that the 200 youths suspected to have been ferried to Nyeri for the meeting were arrested during the crackdown on the former Mungiki leader's supporters.
"Police are on a high alert to enhance security and they are not leaving anything to chance, we shall not allow any security threat or illegal meeting," he said.
He assured the public that security had been beefed up and warned them against engaging in criminal activities.
The county commander said that churches that will conduct overnight prayers on New Year's Eve must follow laid down restrictions.
He directed entertainment joints to observe operating hours as required by liquor licenses.