Iranian authorities lash anti-hijab advocate for not wearing head covering
Asia
By
VOA
| Jan 08, 2024
An anti-hijab advocate in Iran, Roya Heshmati, has been lashed 74 times by Iranian authorities on charges of "injury to public chastity" for not wearing the mandatory head covering.
Heshmati was detained at her home in Tehran last April after sharing an unveiled image of herself on social media, according to her lawyer, Mazyar Tataie.
Tataie said Heshmati had been convicted in two distinct cases, facing charges of "propaganda against the system," "presence in public spaces without Islamic hijab," "injury to public chastity," "production of obscene content," and "encouraging corruption."
The lawyer said Heshmati served a 15-day prison term, and an appellate court upheld the sentence of 74 lashes for the charge of "injury to public chastity."
According to the attorney, Heshmati said to the judge who deemed mandatory hijab as a law, "Let him enforce the laws; we will persist in our resistance."
READ MORE
Families feel the pinch as war-hit diaspora remittances shrink
Mbadi names Adan Mohamed as new KRA chief
Kenya to host green hydrogen symposium as country positions for the global stage
Kingdom Bank deepens MSME push with Industrial Area branch
Court declines to lift orders blocking Safaricom sale as Vodafone loses bid to exit case
Kenya blockchain industry urges faster stablecoin adoption amid new digital asset rules
Activist files petition to block fuel price hike, seeks conservatory orders
Government launches construction of 114 solar mini grids in 14 counties
Kenya's cybersecurity skills gap persists despite training efforts
Ruto's budget limbo deepens as IMF digs in on bailout conditions
The United Nations and human rights organizations have consistently denounced punishments like finger amputation and lashes as "barbaric," "medieval," and forms of "torture." They have persistently called for the abolition of these physical punishments in Iran.