×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Home To Bold Columnists
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download Now

Japan firm says no longer makes radio reportedly used in Lebanon blasts

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Mourners toss rice over the coffin of person a killed after hundreds of paging devices exploded in a deadly wave across Lebanon the previous day, during a funeral procession in Beirut's southern suburbs on September 18, 2024. [AFP]

Japanese firm Icom said Thursday that it had stopped producing the model of radios reportedly used in recent blasts in Lebanon around 10 years ago.

"The IC-V82 is a handheld radio that was produced and exported, including to the Middle East, from 2004 to October 2014. It was discontinued about 10 years ago, and since then, it has not been shipped from our company," Icom said in a statement.

Premium Article

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.

Fact-first reporting that puts you at the heart of the newsroom. Subscribe for full access.
Continue Reading  →
What you get
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimised reading
  • Weekly newsletters & digests
Pay via
M - PESA
VISA
Airtel Money
Secure Payments Kenya's most trusted newsroom since 1902
By Mike Kihaki 54 mins ago
Sports
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Sports
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
By AFP 6 hrs ago
Sports
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Sports
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight