US targets Hamas backers with fresh sanctions on attack anniversary

World
By AFP | Oct 07, 2024

People hold Palestinian flags as they take part in a pro-Palestinian protest held to mark the first anniversary of the Israel-Hamas conflict, in Karachi on October 7, 2024. [AFP]

The United States imposed fresh sanctions Monday on individuals and a "sham charity" it said were international financial supporters of Hamas, among others, on the anniversary of the group's bloody attack on Israel.

On October 7 last year, Hamas militants launched a surprise attack into Israel that resulted in the deaths of 1,206 people according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

The United States has issued a series of sanctions since the attack, some in coordination with allies, that target Hamas officials and actors around the world it accuses of facilitating payments to the group, which it considers a terrorist organization.

"Treasury will continue relentlessly degrading the ability of Hamas and other destabilizing Iranian proxies to finance their operations and carry out additional violent acts," said US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen in announcing the latest US sanctions.

Among the individuals targeted are Yemeni national Hamid Abdullah Hussein al Ahmar, said to be an international supporter of Hamas, and nine entities linked to him.

Several Europe-based fundraisers were also named, including Italy-based Mohammad Hannoun, Majed al-Zeer in Germany and Adel Doughman in Austria.

On Monday, the US Treasury flagged the use of "sham and front charities that falsely claim to help civilians in Gaza," while supporting Hamas.

"As of early 2024, Hamas may have received as much as $10 million a month through such donations," the Treasury said, adding that Europe is considered a key source of fundraising by the group.

It also took aim at Al-Intaj Bank, said to be used to fund internal operations and "skirt international sanctions by operating outside the international financial system."

US President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic presidential nominee, issued separate statements Monday mourning the October 7 attack by Hamas while deploring heavy civilian losses of Palestinians in the subsequent Israeli operation.

More than 41,909 Palestinians, a majority of them civilians, have been killed in Israel's military campaign in the Gaza Strip since war broke out between both sides.

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS