Linda Mwananchi brigade defies alleged attempts to block rallies

Western
By Brian Kisanji | Feb 21, 2026

ODM Linda Mwananchi faction led by Edwin Sifuna and other political leaders at Amalemba grounds in Kakamega town on Saturday, February 21,2026. [Benjamin Sakwa, Standard]

Leaders allied with the Orange Democratic Movement’s Linda Mwananchi faction have accused pro-government politicians and police of trying to block their rallies in Vihiga and Kakamega counties.

Speaking in Mbale town, Vihiga County, during a rally led by embattled ODM Secretary-General Edwin Sifuna, the leaders said they would not be intimidated.

ODM Deputy Party Leader Godfrey Osotsi claimed there had been attempts to frustrate the events but said organizers outmaneuvered their rivals by starting their mobilization in Kakamega before proceeding to Vihiga.

He alleged that some youths hired to disrupt the rallies declined to do so.

“We will not be deterred by threats and intimidation. The people of Western Kenya have a right to assemble and express themselves,” Osotsi said.

Embakasi East MP Babu Owino told supporters that the government fears the movement’s message of change and vowed the group would press on.

“They are afraid of Linda Mwananchi because it represents real change. This country belongs to the people, not a few individuals,” said Owino.

Sections of the crowd chanted “one term,” in reference to President William Ruto. The leaders framed their campaign as a push for political change ahead of the next general election.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS