Sh2b repair of key road for Masai Mara to begin

Rift Valley
By Robert Kiplagat | Jul 06, 2016

The Ministry of Roads has awarded a Sh2 billion contract for repair of the 82km Narok-Sekenani Gate road, days after tour drivers and guides demonstrated over its poor state.

Tour drivers and guides block Narok-Bomet road to protest over the poor state of Masai Mara-Narok road. [PHOTO: ROBERT KIPLAGAT/Standard]

The repair of the road is a major boost to tourists heading to the world famous Masai Mara Game Reserve.

The move comes as the great wildebeest migration across Mara River to Serengeti National park in neighbouring Tanzania kicks off.

Last Friday, tour drivers blocked the busy Narok-Bomet road protesting against the dilapidated state of the road which they blamed for delays and frequent breakdown of their vehicles.

Earlier, Transport and Infrastructure Cabinet Secretary James Macharia had indicated the construction of the road is set to commence in three weeks’ time.

Vital link

The tour drivers, led by Kenya Tour Driver Guides Association Chairman James Gichina, said they decided to demonstrate after the Government ignored their 21-day notice which they said had elapsed without the road being re-carpeted.

The Roads ministry, through Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA), has deployed a contractor to do emergency works before the real construction begins.

“We do realise that the road is a vital link to the world famous Masai Mara which will soon be attracting both local and international tourists to see the wonder of the world wildebeests migration,” read a statement from the ministry.

It added: “Due to the current condition of the road, the ministry has immediately deployed a contractor to do grading and spot gravelling”.

The tour drivers were angry that the Government was doing great in marketing the country as a tourist destination, yet had ignored infrastructure such as roads leading to tourist attraction sites.

The enraged tour drivers argued that they pay Sh1,200 for each vehicle and Sh1,000 per driver daily to enter the park, saying they were not getting value for their money.

“We really appreciate the ministry’s swift action. It will go a long way in ensuring success of this season’s wildebeests migration,” said Gichina when contacted by The Standard.

Meanwhile, three tour drivers were fined Sh10,000 each or serve three-month jail terms by a Narok court for causing obstruction on the Narok-Bomet road.

Solomon Gitahi, Tony Wambugu and Shadrack Chebon were charged that on June 1, this year, together with other drivers not in court, they blocked the Narok-Bomet road in Narok town by parking their vehicles in the middle of the road.

Staged protest

The three appeared before Narok Principal Magistrate Titus Gesora and pleaded guilty.

The tour drivers had on June 1 staged a demonstration in Narok town complaining over the poor condition of Narok-Sekenani road, which led to their arrest.

The demonstration led to a traffic snarl-up in Narok town for over two hours.

The drivers said the road, which leads to the famous Masai Mara Game Reserve, had been in a poor state for a long time and their efforts to reach the county government to air their grievances have been futile.

Narok County is home to the Masai Mara Game Reserve and other game reserves that contribute more than 70 per cent of revenue to the devolved government.

It is estimated that the Masai Mara Game Reserve rakes in Sh2.4 billion annually.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS