Over 500 players to participate in Mombasa Open Tong-IL Moo-Do International Martial Arts

Unique Sports
By Rodgers Eshitemi | Nov 30, 2024
Participants display their taekwondo skills during the 2023 Mombasa Open Tong-IL-Moo-Do International Martial Arts Championship at Aga Khan Academy, Mombasa. [Omondi Onyango,Standard]

Over 578 players have confirmed their participation in the 12th edition of the Mombasa Open Tong-IL Moo-Do International Martial Arts Championship 2024 slated for December 11-24 at Aga Khan Academy, Mombasa.

This is the highest number in the history of the tournament that will feature 328 foreign participants from 35 countries. Kenya will be represented by 250 participants with team Jasiri having 120 players.

Despite the cancellation of the event in August due to financial constraints, the World Tong IL- Moo- Do Federation president Grand Master Takamitsu Hoshiko has shown faith and support to ensure next month's event takes place.

Hoshiko has been supportive and his efforts to marshal the countries to the event demonstrate that the world body recognizes Kenya's strides to popularise the game in the country and Africa.

On his part, Kenya's Tong IL- Moo- Do president Clarence Mwakio said the huge turnout shows that the credibility of the championship is regarded highly by the world body.

"Kenya is a powerhouse in Tong-IL Moo-Do and hosting such a world class event elevates the country's status," Mwakio said.

Mwakio urged President William Ruto and Sports Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen to intervene in sponsorship and facilitate the national team Jasiri with the hosting funds.

"The championship is among the few international events that are hosted in Kenya this year and it's of significance for the government to boost the morale of the players," he said.

"For the last four months, team Jasiri has continued with training in readiness for the event that they have won for the last 11 years of the championship," he added.

Mwakio said he is optimistic the government will come to the rescue of the tournament which was initially supposed to be held in August.

In this year's championship, new teams are participating among them Sao Tome and Principe, Vanuatu, Lithuania, Uganda among others.

Kenya retained the overall title for the 11th year running last year after garnering a massive 191 medals (46 gold, 42 silver and 93 bronze).

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS