Kenya Police, Kenya Prisons miss league championships again

Boxing
By Ben Ahenda | Sep 28, 2024
Nairobi County's Ben Nyamogo (right) and Glenstone Agade of Kenya Police in action.[Jonah Onyango, Standard]

By missing the league championships for the second time, defending champions Kenya Police have shattered their dreams of retaining the National Boxing League title for the seventh consecutive year.

The policemen are not taking part in the league championships that ends in Embu this afternoon after missing the first leg in Kisumu in June.

Former champions Kenya Prisons are equally not in Embu after missing the second leg of the league championships in Mombasa last month but attended the one in Kisumu.

As a result, their archrivals Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) are expected to clinch the title easily for the first time in six years.

Defence Force Boxing Association (DEFABA) chairman Paul Mung'ori said the title is theirs to lose.

"The league is DEFABA to lose. I had warned my arch rivals - Kenya Police to prepare a congratulatory message to us. So far, I'm happy with our performance in the league championships," Mung'ori told Standard Sports.

The soldiers fielded a full team of 13 boxers and several women pugilists and the competition was in the semifinal stages yesterday.

KDF team manager Ben Maingi said they hope to win the title despite the many roadblocks they have faced in the fight for top honours.

"We have had many roadblocks a number of times but it's through consistency and hard work that has made us reach here," Maingi said.

KDF are on top of the league table with 50 points ahead of the policemen (26 points) and Nairobi County (21 points).

Kenya Prisons head coach Bernard Ngumba confirmed they are not in Embu without giving reasons.

However, reliable sources at the higher ranks of government revealed that austerity financial measures had prevailed upon the two teams (Kenya Police and Kenya Prisons) to skip league championships by cutting down on unnecessary expenses.

Share this story
Pereira 'trusts' Forest owner Marinakis despite three sackings this season
Vitor Pereira said he trusts Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis despite becoming the fourth manager of the Premier League side this season.
Mexico prepares for possible drone threats during the World Cup
The Mexican military is preparing to confront the potential threat of unauthorised drones in stadiums used for this summer's football World Cup.
Arteta welcomes Madueke and Saka's competition for places
Arteta believes Arsenal and England "get the benefit" from the friendly rivalry between Bukayo Saka and Noni Madueke as the duo battle to start for both club and country.
Barcelona's Raphinha blasts La Liga refereeing double standards
Barcelona winger Raphinha lashed out at perceived refereeing double standards in La Liga on Tuesday after his side fell to a 2-1 defeat at Girona.
Igor Tudor has 'no time for excuses' at Tottenham
Tottenham's new interim manager Igor Tudor says the club's perilous position in the Premier League is unacceptable as he aims to ward off a relegation battle.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS