Jebet, Kiplimo set to defend their titles at Nairobi City Marathon

Athletics
By Ochieng Oyugi | Sep 04, 2024
From Left; Sports PS Eng Peter Tum, Former World Champion Ruth Chepngetich, Athletics Kenya president General Jackson Tuwei, Race Director Ibrahim Hussein and AK Youth Development chairman Barnabas Korir display medals during the launch of the Nairobi City Marathon press Conference at EKA Hotel in Nairobi on September 04, 2024. [Stafford Ondego, Standard]

About 15,000 participants are expected in the third edition of Nairobi City Marathon set to start at Nyayo National Stadium on Sunday.

Expected to defend their positions are last year's champions Robert Kipkemboi Kiplimo and Naomi Jebet who won the men and women's 42km categories.

Others expected to put up a fight in the race are last year's men's podium finishers Charles Yosei and Robert Kipkorir, same as to the women's second and third place winners Sharon Chelimo and Judith Jerubet.

Apart from the Kenyans, the race has attracted participants from other 40 countries with so far China leading in the registration with 155 runners, United Kingdom (130), USA (75) and Tanzania (56).

"So far, we have a total of 10,650 registered athletes from a cross the world and the number is swelling every hour. Many have already jetted in for the epic showdown at the weekend," Athletics Kenya President Jackson Tuwei told a news conference at a Nairobi hotel on Wednesday.

"We hope the defending champions will be able to guard their places, but the competition will be stiff owing to the level of preparations that participants have put in place. There is no way the defending champions are guaranteed of victory," Tuwei said.

The marathon winners will be able to walk home with Sh3.5 million in both men and women's races as second and third place finishers win Sh2.5 million and Sh1.5 million. The awards will trickle down up to top 20 finishers.

Apart from the main marathon, other classes to be contested will be the half marathon, 10km and the 6km fun runs, in both men and women's categories.

"We have ensured the course is in line with the correct measurements, according to the global governing body AIMS.

"The 42km race will start at 6.45am while the 21km, 10km and 6km will start at 7.30am, 9am and 10am respectively.

"The races will provide a wonderful, scenic and perfect view for the participants. It will only be challenging to the spectators who might not get opportunity to be on the Nairobi Expressway," Race Director Ibrahim Hussein said.

Nairobi County Deputy Officer In Charge of Traffic, Mary Kiarie assured participants of their safety. She said various roads and sections will be closed from Saturday midnight till Sunday 2pm for the marathon.

Sports Principal Secretary Peter Tum pledged continuous Government support for the race saying it's one of the many avenues where Kenya is unearthing athletics talents.

"This marathon is also marketing Nairobi City and Kenya to the outside world and this is why we are seeing over 40 nations coming here to compete.

"These foreign athletes are not coming here specifically for the marathon, but are jetting in to view the City of Nairobi via the Expressway," said Tum.

The PS further added: "The fact that the marathon is so rewarding is such a great way to monetise talents. It also provides wellness to the athletes.

"I also wants to reiterate that the Government is committed to developing others sports apart from athletics."

Share this story
Calm Nyanchama wins milestone Sigona Ladies Open title
The 25th edition of the Sigona Ladies Open, a ladies Golfer of the year Goty event, attracted a record turnout with a masterclass performance
Smiles fade away as national school games giants go into hibernation
The decline of these giants is due to changes in administration and a shift in the education ecosystem.
Shujaa finish third at Nairobi Sevens after losing to USA
Kenya Sevens have finished third in the opening leg of the 2026 HSBC SVNS Division two played Nairobi.
Kenya Lionesses fall to Spain to end Nairobi Sevens on a low
Kenya Lionesses ended their 2026 Nairobi SVNS Women’s Division two on a low after losing their fourth match of the competition 14-5 to Spain at Nyayo Stadium on Sunday.
Kenya Lionesses suffer narrow 5-0 defeat to Argentina in Nairobi
Kenya Lionesses lost their third match at the ongoing 2026 Nairobi HSBC SVNS Division Two tournament after going down 5-0 to Argentina at Nyayo Stadium on Sunday morning.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS