Owalo pledges support as Nzoia Sugar FC aims for Premier League comeback

Football
By Washington Onyango | Aug 15, 2024
Nzoia Sugar FC players, officials and legends pose with Eliud Owalo after eciving kits.[Washington Onyango,Standard]

Nzoia Sugar FC, a two-time Premier League champion, is determined to make a swift return to the top tier after being relegated last season.

The club's management has expressed confidence in their preparations as they embark on the challenging journey in the lower division, aiming to restore the team to its former glory.

"We have prepared well and are focused on ensuring that we return this team to the level it belongs," said Jaspets Mokua, the team manager.

Eliud Owalo, the former Cabinet Secretary for Information, Communication, and Digital Economy, recently donated 30 tracksuits and a cash token to the team. He pledged to mobilize additional resources to support Nzoia Sugar FC in their quest for promotion.

"We will do everything humanly possible to support this team. Nzoia has been a fertile hunting ground not only for the big teams in the country but also for the national team. We can't afford to see it fade away," Owalo emphasized.

Nzoia Sugar FC players, officials and legends pose with Eliud Owalo after eciving kits.[Washington Onyango,Standard]

A known sports enthusiast, Owalo has extended his support to various teams across the country through the Eliud Owalo Foundation. His contributions have included purchasing training and playing kits and providing a team bus for Gor Mahia, a club he avidly supports.

Owalo also challenged the Nzoia players to reignite the fierce reputation of Kanduyi Stadium, the team's home ground, known as one of the toughest venues for visiting teams.

"I can tell you for free, Kanduyi was no walk in the park for the big boys like Gor Mahia and AFC Leopards. Every time they came here, they knew dropping points was a great possibility," Owalo recalled, drawing cheers from Nzoia's players and technical staff.

The former Cabinet Secretary was joined by several former internationals who used the occasion to advocate for more grassroots investment in the sport.

"We need more resources pumped into the game to ensure the sport grows. But we also challenge players to focus on the game and developing their abilities while the sun still shines," said Peter Dawo, the 1989 Mandela Cup top scorer and winner with Gor Mahia.

Former Gor Mahia and Harambee Stars striker Peter Dawo speaking to Nzoia Sugar players.[Washington Onyango,Standard]

Premier League top scorer Bernard Onyango echoed this sentiment, urging teams to scout grassroots players and tap into the potential showcased in school competitions.

"When you look at the just-concluded Kenya Secondary Schools Sports Association championship in Kisii, you realize how schools are a rich hunting ground for real talent. Let's see how we can tap into this vast potential," Onyango remarked.

Nzoia Sugar FC will compete in the National Super League this season after their relegation last year.

Share this story
Inside Victor Omune's Ingwe push to fulfil father's dream
When AFC Leopards SC won the KPL trophy in 1998, three-quarters of the current club’s playing unit was not yet born. We are out to break this 28-year-old jinx
Stage set for the final Counties Intermediate Championships
As branches get ready for Counties Intermediate Boxing Championships starting tomorrow, they are ready to stop the dominance of Nairobi in the National Championships next week.
Government steps up sports infrastructure expansion with new Thika Stadium
The national government has stepped up its push to expand sports infrastructure across the country after breaking ground for a modern 10,000-seater stadium in Thika town
Bilbao winger Nico Williams out indefinitely with groin issue
Athletic Bilbao winger Nico Williams is set to miss several weeks with a groin problem and has no fixed return date, a concerning development for Spain ahead of the World Cup.
Enrique dismisses 'noise' around PSG before Monaco Champions League clash
PSG coach Luis Enrique dismissed any suggestions of dressing room disharmony as the reigning European champions prepared to put their continental title on the line
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS